Beware of Drunk Drivers This Memorial Day Weekend
The unofficial start to summer is right around the corner as we close in on Memorial Day weekend here in California. To be expected, there will be a lot of barbeques, parties, and alcohol.
If you are on the roads this coming Memorial Day weekend, you need to know how you can spot possible drunk drivers in an effort to keep yourself and the people around you safe.
Look for Signs of Impaired Driving
Everyone who has a driver’s license should know the signs of impaired driving so they can look for them each and every time they are behind the wheel. Knowing these signs on days of the year where drunk driving is more prevalent is even more important. The warning signs of impaired driving include the following:
- Making sudden or illegal turns
- Driving at night without headlights
- Failure to use turn signals or activating them too late
- Turning at an unnecessarily wide radius
- Accelerating rapidly or suddenly decelerating
- Responding slowly to a green light
- Almost hitting objects or other vehicles
- Not driving on the roadway (grass, sidewalks, median)
- Driving too slow for the speed limit posted
- Driving in the middle of the street, or with the vehicle straddling the center lines
- Weaving, swerving or drifting
- Erratic or unnecessary braking
- Making inappropriate or unnecessary stops
What to Do if You Spot a Drunk Driver
Now that you know the signs of an impaired driver, what should you do if you come across one this upcoming Memorial Day weekend? First and foremost, you need to safely maneuver your vehicle away from the drunk driver so that you do not wind up in an accident with them. The next steps are equally important and include:
- Be sure to stay at a safe distance away from the suspected drunk driver.
- Check that you have your seatbelt on and so does any other person in your vehicle.
- Get a good look at the vehicle and report it to emergency dispatch immediately.
- If at all possible, safely follow the vehicle in order to help dispatch send police to the proper location.
- Give the correct location of the suspected drunk driver, including mile markers, road signs, and any other descriptions.
Call Us Today If You Have Been Injured by a Drunk Driver
Have you been injured in an accident with a drunk driver? Was a loved one killed by a drunk driver? You need the help of a reputable and experienced attorney who represents victims of drunk driving accidents in Upland, California by your side. Contact Donald S. Fair, Attorney at Law at (909) 344-3011 to schedule a consultation today.